Monday, October 27, 2008

the ball is rolling...?

I didn't get hired at the jewelry store or Dick Blick. Bummer. I could've really used the money.

Despite my continuing lack of steady income, I have had some successes since I last wrote. I went to my first ASIFA open screening which can be read about here: http://asifaeast.wordpress.com/2008/10/27/asifas-open-screening/
I showed my senior film and it actually went over quite well. People laughed when they were supposed to! Hooray!

Being in New York was quite exciting. I really needed to leave the Valley for a while. I got to see some old friends from school, the Upright Citizens Brigade, and the Metropolitain Museum of Art (an old favorite). All very wonderful indeed. I can't believe how hilarious (and cheap!) the UCB was! I've got to go back there again.

As soon as I got off the bus back home, I threw my butt into my car and speeded over to Kutztown U for a lecture given by Tom Waburton-http://warburtonlabs.blogspot.com/

I was anticipating a small affair, but there were far more people than I expected. I wanted to show him some of my animation since he works at one of my dream studios, Curious Pictures. I wanted to get some feedback on how I might go about getting a job there (even if it's just removing coffee stains from desks or something). Unfortunately, despite the extended Q&A there were a lot of people who also decided they wanted to speak with him afterwards. I waited until the very end so that I could really talk with him and wouldn't interupt anyone's autograph signing. However, I got to ask him a few questions (although I wonder how succinct I was), and then the woman in charge of shutting down the auditorium kicked us out! Poo. Poo, Poo, Poo. He did tell me that if I drop by Curious I should ask for him at the desk. That sounds like a plan to me!

He, like Dave Levy, spoke of when he was first starting out, and he pounded the pavement checking out studios door to door. I mentioned that I was really nervous about doing that, but it's what ultimately landed him a job. He said some places would slam the door in my face, and some places would gladly find someone to check out my work even if they didn't have openings. I should really plan on doing this despite how invasive and terrifying it may seem to me. If it means paying work, I'm all there.

I start my internship on the 6th, and I'm very excited about that. I figured I'd make some pilgrimages to other studios around that time.

I completed my Soup2Nuts animation test, but haven't heard back from them either. I'm wondering if
A: did they get it in the mail?
B. did I do horribly?
C. do they just not have any openings and they're being lazy about telling me I did a swell job?

It makes me nervous. I was really hoping this would lead to some paying work.

Speaking of paying, it looks like my friend's parents may pay me to make a website for their business. Sounds good to me! I updated my website as well- http://www.vanessaappleby.com/

No comments: