Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Technical Education and a Rotoscoping Experiment

So yesterday in a panic-stricken fit, I realized I needed to learn WAY more about After Effects than I already know. I pulled out the tutorial that Guillaume sent me about working with the filmstrip format, and I ended up rotoscoping for the first time. I found some of my old video projects from sophmore year and worked on a little chunk of Senan and me playing patty cake. I did run into some snags however. Despite what the tutorial said, filmstrips do not automatically save transparencies. You have to select your drawings and add them to the preexisting alpha channel (you can't even create a new one!!). This drove me bananans. Despite hours of searching online, I couldn't figure out what to do about it. Every filmstrip layer is exported with a white background unless it's been manually alpha channeled out by hand. BOGUS if you ask me.

Anyway, this is what happened:




Ta-Da! I kinda like it. I've got to figure out more of what After Effects is capable of. Once I have an idea of what tools I'm working with, I'll get more ideas for projects as a result. I really wish I took that After Effects class when that guy who was totally awesome taught it. Too bad stinky ol' Dennis took it over after one semester... I need some technical education...

1 comment:

chris chUa! said...

I just played this thing like 8 times, I don't know why. I was in some trance. so good job. ok, can't chat, must push play again.