Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Land Ahoy!

It finally looks as though I can see land from my sea of unemployment. I suppose I'm a preemptive worrier. I get worried that life if going to end when all I really have to do is wait it out a day or two. I forget that not everyone is currently unemployed and has the time to email me immediately. Oh well. I should remember this for the future.

The big news is that I was able to get in touch with Max Porter from Tiny Inventions www.tinyinventions.com. He offered me an intern position working on the next music video for They Might Be Giants. Although it's not a paying position (which is sorta a huge bummer since I'm almost broke), it's a project that I'm actually really excited about working on. I loved the last video they made for TMBG, and I'm sure this one will be equally awesome. It sounds as though it will be a collage of all different mediums: cut paper, After Effects, stop-motion, and 3d CGI. I'm really stoked about working in stop-motion again and hopefully learning more about After Effects. Not only is the project itself exciting, but finally getting my foot in the door at a New York studio is most exciting of all.

My hope is that I do well on the Soup2Nuts test (which I still haven't received in the mail thanks to Columbus Day...) and I can get some freelance paying work through them. It sounded like they do most of their work in the studio though, which I hope isn't a problem for me since I'm currently so far away from Boston.

I also applied to work at a local jewelry store which is owned and operated by an award winning jeweler. Everything in the store was made from precious stones (no synthetics!) and a lot of it was hand crafted there at the place. There was an $11,000 platinum and diamond necklace I was dying to own, but sadly, I'm sure I'll be dead before I could ever own it. I met with the owner, we talked jewelry for a while, and she seemed to like me. The position is for general help in the store ranging from sales to jewelry repairs. I have jewelry making experience, so I'm hoping that plays in my favor. It'd be a steady job, and it'd be in a creative setting. If I get it, I'm hoping to work on the TMBG video while earning bank at the diamond encrusted jewelry store and perhaps even doing stuff for Soup2Nuts at the same time. Certainly jewelry is unrelated to my field, but I've always loved it and what girl doesn't want to spend her day looking at diamonds???

I'm still twiddling my thumbs waiting for this animation test. I think I should take it before I start contacting anyone else about employment. With that said, I believe I'll spend my day cleaning the fence and going to the gym.

No comments: